Health and Safety Manager
£34,000 - £38,000 per annum
3 months temporary initally
We are delighted to be recruiting for a Health and Safety Manager for our client based in Newry. Our client is a large multi site college of further and higher education with a broad health and safety environment which comprimises students, young people and and vulnerable adults.
The Health and Safety manager will be responsible for proactively promoting a positive health and safety culture across all business areas and schools in the area.
The health and safety manager will advise and support the head of estates in relation to discharging responsibilities in relation to health and safety. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is seeking industry experience and insight into public sector to help develop and mould career.
This role will be initially for 3 months with possibility of extension.
- Monitor and review the performance of the health and safety management system making recommendations to Senior Managers for improvement as appropriate.
- Support the Head of Estates providing specialist advice to Senior Managers and the Governing Body in developing appropriate health and safety arrangements within the College.
- Provide specialist advice and guidance on roles and responsibilities in relation to the effective management of health and safety.
- Provide specialist advice and support to the health and safety committee and other management teams as required.
- Act as the lead health and safety professional and provide advice and support commensurate with this role to assist the College in discharging its responsibilities in respect of health and safety compliance.
- Have a high level of understanding in health and safety legislation in order to draft and develop health and safety policies, procedures and guidance on a wide range of disciplines.
- Ensure arrangements for the effective implementation of the College health and safety policy and procedures and work with senior managers, managers and other staff to develop local work procedures to ensure compliance with legal obligations.
- Regularly review and update the health and safety policy statement and associated arrangements taking full account of the particular hazards, requirements and arrangements across the College.
- Organise and conduct regular safety meetings on each assigned project.
- Liaise with the relevant health and safety and employers’ organisation and advise the College on changes in statutory requirements and best practice.
- Notify the relevant authority and College insurers immediately of any serious accident or incident.
- Manage, monitor and advise on planned preventative maintenance works to maintain statutory compliance testing for plant and equipment.
- Ensure statutory obligations are met in a number areas e.g. asbestos, fire and water management.
- Regularly evaluate compliance with relevant legislation.
A level 6 qualification (or higher) in Occupational Health and Safety (e.g. NEBOSH Diploma) OR A level 6 qualification (or higher) in a Construction or Building-related discipline e.g. Estates Management, Quantity Surveying, Building or Construction Management or Construction Engineering.
A recognised Health and Safety qualification e.g. NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent qualification OR A vocational qualification (NVQ, QCF) at Level 5 in occupational health and safety practice.
Membership of an appropriate Health and Safety professional body at a grade equivalent to GradIOSH or higher. Preference may be given to those who can demonstrate membership equivalence to MIOSH, CMIOSH or FIOSH.
In-Depth and up to date knowledge of operating health and safety management systems and relevant procedures within a large and complex organisation (e.g. HSG65, USHA HASMAP, BS OHSAS 18001 / ISO18001).
A minimum of three years’ recent, post qualification experience in health and safety management including the provision of advice/guidance in health and safety.
A minimum of two years’ experience (within the last five years) of successfully managing health and safety in a further/higher education/public sector environment.
A minimum of one years’ experience (within the last five years) in the planning, organising and delivery of job skills training and processes within the remit of Health & Safety to individuals, groups and managers.
Other Essential Criteria
A full current driving licence which enables you to drive in Northern Ireland, and access to a car for official business purposes. (Please refer to the General section in the application pack for further information).
For more information please send across your most recent CV by clicking the link provided.
As a corporate member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), Bond Search & Selection operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business. We adhere to all relevant legislation and offer services regardless of age, race, sex, disability or religious belief.