Temporary for 6 months
£12.86 per hour
We require a Communications Technician for our client the Northern Ireland Rescue Service. The role will require the individual to be based on a full time basis at their modern head quarters in Lisburn. The role is for 6 months initially with view of extension after this duration is complete.
- To ensure the continuous availability of (i) the NIFRS mobilising and communication systems and (ii) the equipment for the deployment and control of fire-fighting and rescue resources.
- To provide a Station End Installation service, including; installing the power supply unit, back-up batteries, fire coder and associated equipment, alerter equipment, modems and associated interface and peripheral equipment, cabling and connections.
- To provide a fault and repair service for all communications equipment including mobilising comms, data transmission, computers, vehicles, antennae, breathing apparatus and Command Support Units. This service will be provided locally, in transit or by ‘benchwork’ within the Comms Workshop.
- To ensure, in liaison with service providers and RCC/Ops Comms, that the data transmission links between the main mobilising computers and remote sites are operational and maintained in good order at all times.
- To provide a vehicle installation service for all NIFRS vehicles including new fire appliances. This includes the connection of all mobile data systems, chargers and hands-free telephony kits.
- To deliver the pre-planned standard maintenance programme for the inspection, testing and repair of power supply systems and back-ups; comms equipment and electrical equipment.
- To deliver maintenance, repair and replacement programmes for Retained Firefighters’ pagers, including issuing, testing, conducting coverage checks and carrying out appropriate analysis and reporting.
- To provide an out-of-hours standby and operational support service in accordance with agreed NIFRS policy, including attending major operational incidents, providing technical support and advice, driving NIFRS vehicles and dealing effectively with critical equipment or systems failures.
- To provide public address systems for public events undertaken by NIFRS, including demonstrations, trainee graduation ceremonies and NIFRS funerals.
- To comply with policies relating to stock and inventory control.
- To assist the Comms Team Leader to implement internal and external audit recommendations.
- To maintain written and/or electronic records of all work carried out.
- To ensure the cleanliness of the Comms areas.
- To contribute fully to the performance of the Comms service to ensure key performance indicators are achieved.
Experience and Qualifications;
- Possess an NVQ Level 3 or equivalent plus a minimum of three years’ practical experience Or Possess an NVQ Level 2 or equivalent plus a minimum of four years’ practical experience. Or:-Possess at least 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, or equivalent, to include English and Maths plus a minimum of five years’ practical experience
- Possess experience of working with auto-electrics, including the installation, maintenance and repair of hands-free telephony equipment.
- Possess a full, current UK driving licence category B which enables them to fulfil the full requirements of the role.
- Working knowledge of Windows and other Microsoft applications.
- Can demonstrate; effective planning, organisation, prioritising skills and attention to detail and the ability to work individually or as a team member; b) working to demanding deadlines, working accurately and calmly under pressure and adapting to changing circumstances.c) effective communication skills (both oral and written) and the ability to provide timely and accurate information; d) a customer service orientation.
- Possess a full, current UK driving licence category C which enables them to fulfil the full requirements of the role.
- Able to show evidence of attending training courses on the maintenance and repair of explosion-proof radio equipment and the testing of portable electrical appliances.
For more information please submit your most recent CV by clicking the link provided.
As a corporate member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), Bond Search & Selection operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business. We adhere to all relevant legislation and offer services regardless of age, race, sex, disability or religious belief.