Assistant Accountant / Contracts Manager
£19.01 per hour
Full Time Temporary for 6 months
Our client, the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service are seeking a temporary Assistant Accountant / Contracts Manager for an immediate start. Your main purpose will be to support the Management Accountant in the provision of an efficient and effective Management Accounting function, including management of Procurement & Contract Management Services. The role will be based in their modern head quarters in Lisburn.
This is a temporary role for 6 months initially however there may be option for extended period once this duration has been completed.
- To support the Management Accountant in the provision of an efficient and effective Management Accounting function, including management of Procurement & Contract Management Services.
- To develop and oversee the implementation of an Assurance & Accountability Framework for Procurement & Contract Management activities within NIFRS, detailing roles, responsibilities, performance measures and reporting responsibilities.
- To develop and maintain a Procurement & Contract Management Risk Register.
- To develop, maintain and oversee the implementation of a NIFRS Procurement Strategy, Policy & Procedures, reflective of the relationship with the designated CoPE and the requirements of the sponsor body.
- To ensure the development and maintenance of a 3-year procurement plan for NIFRS and contribute to the NIFRS Corporate Business Planning process and review cycle.
- To develop existing reporting on procurement & contract management, including capabilities of the e-Procurement system, to meet internal and external information requirements and user needs.
- To provide the Board, Senior Leadership Team and internal Contract Managers with regular procurement and contract management information and advice.
- To oversee the operational management of contracts in conjunction with internal contract managers.
- To establish and oversee the implementation of contract monitoring & renewal management processes.
- To establish processes to assist in the management of accurate and up-to-date contract spend.
- To establish and oversee the implementation of supplier performance management processes and develop Service Level Agreements and performance reporting protocols for BSO PaLS and other relevant CoPEs.
- To approve purchase orders in line with delegated authority limits following accuracy and validity checking.
- To complete all statutory/regulatory returns and requests for information from the sponsor body in line with defined timelines.
- To liaise with internal and external auditors to address queries arising during the audit process.
- To provide Contract & Procurement Management training to the NIFRS Board and employees.
1. Be a CCAB Qualified Accountant having successfully completed the professional examinations of one of the following:
- Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAEW, ICAI, ICAS)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Association of Certified Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy
2. Have at least 2 years’ relevant experience within a large complex organisation * of at least two of the following:
(a) Financial management including the preparation of monthly management accounts
(b) Procurement & Contract Management
(c) the preparation of Statutory Financial Statements.
*NIFRS employs in excess of 2000 staff, has over 70 sites and a budget of circa £70 million.
3. Demonstrable experience of:
(a) Using computerised systems and Microsoft Excel and databases for the provision of financial information
(b) Accounting systems development
(c) Providing financial information for corporate decision making.
(d) Developing financial governance arrangements
(e) Management of a team
4. Can demonstrate:
(a) excellent planning and organisational skills
(b) ability to work under pressure of multiple deadlines
(c) strong interpersonal and influencing skills
(d) ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships
(e) deliver high quality work with excellent attention to detail
(f) a strong customer orientation
5. Possess a current driving licence or have access to a form of transport that will permit the candidate to meet the requirements of the post in full.
1. Experience of working in a finance function in the Public Sector
2. Experience in the development or review of business cases, tenders or quotations.
For more information on this role please submit your most recent CV by clicking the link provided.
As a corporate member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), Bond Search & Selection operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business. We adhere to all relevant legislation and offer services regardless of age, race, sex, disability or religious belief.